My passion is to help others in the community, young, old, and everyone in between, find relevance and joy in learning, performing or listening to classical music.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

So how did it go?

A twitter friend tweeted me yesterday, asking how the performance went on Sunday so I thought I should do a quick self-review for anyone that is interested.

I had an absolutely wonderful time performing the Lukas Foss Capriccio!  I was hoping to have at least a little time to warm up on the cello and to play a couple of sections slowly since I hadn't had any time to play it on Saturday.  But that didn't really happen.  In spite of that, however, the performance went very smoothly, with only one slightly significant blip where I started a difficult passage on the wrong string.  I always expect mistakes, though, so I think I got through it pretty smoothly.  

Most important is that I did have fun and I was delighted to be able to share the piece with everyone.     I also thought it fit well into the "evocative cello" theme since to me the piece conjures up images of a cowboy on his trusty horse.  Although I don't typically use props in my performances, we did decide to use a few in this situation, especially since there were lots of kids in the audience.  I had purchased a Sesame-Street-like cowgirl puppet at the local store and I put her on my scroll at the top of the cello, for the performance.  The pianist, Martin, wore a big black cowboy hat and cowboy-style tie, up to the stage.  It brought a few laughs and smiles which to me, is precious.  

But I'm relieved, I must admit.  I don't recommend learning pieces at the last minute like this but every once in a while I figure it's good to test my practice methods!  So test done...now on to the next project.

Happy practicing!

No comments:

Post a Comment